Updated on Monday 6 September

We will continually review this page, but check the government and NHS websites for the latest advice.

If you are a line manager use our coronavirus advice page for managers.

Key messages

Latest NHS advice

You should stay at home if you have either: 

  • a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
  • a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or three or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
  • loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you have noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal 

Do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do.  

Find more information about the symptoms, self-isolation and what to do on the NHS website.

If you are in the Isle of Man, visit The Isle of Man government website.


If you are attending an appointment in work time, you must follow the Co-op dental and medical appointment policy.

You will get paid your normal pay. Let your manager know you will be off to attend the appointment.

You can let your line manager know if you have been vaccinated, but you do not have to.

NHS test and trace

If you have coronavirus symptoms, you will be tested and your close contacts traced.

If you are contacted, follow the advice you are given and continue to report any coronavirus-related absence to your line manager.

You can find more information about test and trace on the government website.

If you live in Scotland

Find information about test and protect on the Scottish government website.

Face masks

Some colleagues must wear masks when at work. The rules are different as it depends on which business area and country you work in.

Speak to your line manager to find out the rules for your business area and country.

If you are self-isolating

Tell your line manager. Your manager will notify ER services.

Find more information about what to do when you are self-isolating on the NHS website.

If you self-isolate for more than 7 days you will need to get an online self-isolation note from the NHS. Give this to your line manager.

Paid leave

If you are self-isolating for any of the reasons above, you will get 'paid leave'. You will be paid from the first day you self-isolate. There is no 3-day waiting period and absence triggers will not apply.

If you are still unwell after self-isolating

You will need to self-certify for the 7 days after your self-isolation period ends. After those 7 days, you will need a fit note to support your absence.

If your absence is longer than 3 weeks (including self-isoalting), it will be treated as normal sickness and company sick pay or statutory sick pay will apply.

Line managers should contact ER Services to log an ongoing absence case and to discuss moving to sickness leave.

Get tested for coronavirus

You can get a coronavirus test on the NHS website.

You should book any tests outside of your normal working hours.

When you get the test result

Let your manager know. Your manager will notify ER services if you test positive and discuss how they can support you.

If you are in work when you get a positive test result, you must go home to self-isolate immediately.

People with an increased risk

Coronavirus can make anyone seriously ill. But some people are at a higher risk and need to take extra steps to avoid becoming unwell.

Clinically extremely vulnerable groups

Find out more about the people most at risk on the NHS website.

You should work from home if you can. If you are unable to work from home, you can go into your normal workplace if there are safety measures in place.

Clinically vulnerable groups

You may be at an increased risk from coronavirus and considered "clinically vulnerable" if you:

If you are in this group, you should work from home if you can. If you are unable to work from home, you can go into your normal workplace.

Transport and travel

Find the latest travel updates on the Traveline website or check local transport providers.

If you are travelling for work in the UK

Try to cycle, walk or drive to work. Only share car journeys with people from your household.

If you use public transport, check with your local providers if you need to wear a face mask.

If you are travelling for work outside of the UK

Speak to your line manager before booking anything. You are insured to travel on business for Co-op if you follow the advice from the government.

Find the latest travel advice on the government website.

If you have booked a hotel or train tickets, call Clarity Travel to see if you can change the booking or get a refund.

Read Co-op's travel and expenses policy.

If you are travelling for personal reasons

If you travel abroad, you may need to quarantine when you return to the UK.

If you quarantine for extra days, you should take it as annual leave, unpaid leave or work from home.

Find more information about foreign travel on the government website.

Schools and childcare

Find the latest information about schools and childcare on the government website.

If restrictions put in place locally mean a school is closed, you should follow Co-op's emergency leave policy while you make alternative arrangements for childcare.

Speak to your line manager to arrange this or discuss your options for flexible working hours.

Annual leave

You should continue to book annual leave so you get a break from work. This holiday year is from 1 April 2021 to 31 March 2022.

If you are self-isolating but due to be on holiday

You can claim back the annual leave. You will then go on to 'paid leave'.

You will need to give evidence of a positive test result or track and trace notification to your line manager.

If you are on holiday and need to self-isolate

This will be processed as 'annual leave'. The days will be taken from your holiday entitlement.