Inclusion and diversity policy
Last reviewed on 06 February 2018
Here at the Co-op we’re committed to promoting equality and preventing discrimination at work.
We know that simply having a diverse workforce is not enough. We want to create an inclusive environment, where everyone can contribute their best work and develop to their full potential.
We also want to celebrate the fact that everyone is different yet valued and to make sure that every colleague is treated with dignity and respect.
This policy applies to all colleagues, as well as agency workers and contractors.
- We promote equality of opportunity for everyone
- We aim to create a workforce that’s representative of our society
- We value all our colleagues for their contribution and we celebrate diversity in all aspects of our business
- We want to create a genuinely inclusive workplace, where we embrace the similarities and differences of all our colleagues
- We’ll support the unique and diverse needs of our customers and our communities
- We’ll make sure that our suppliers and partners actively support us in having a diverse and inclusive culture and can demonstrate this
- We’re against all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination
- We won’t tolerate bullying and harassment in any form. And we’ll do our best to protect colleagues from harassment from third parties and from any kind of negative treatment related to the differences listed below. See our Bullying & Harassment Policy for more information
- We won’t allow colleagues to wear, display or circulate emblems, badges, clothing, tattoos, posters, graffiti, images or literature, where it might create an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for anyone.
Things to think about
What is diversity?
Diversity is all about acceptance and respect. It means understanding that each of us is unique and recognising our individual differences. We treat our colleagues as individuals, allowing them to be themselves regardless of:
- Sexual orientation
- Gender identity
- Race or ethnicity
- Religion or religious belief
- Marital and civil partnership status
- Educational background
- Physical and mental ability
- Caring responsibilities
- Political opinion
- Physical appearance
What is inclusion?
Inclusion is about engaging the uniqueness, talents, beliefs, backgrounds, abilities and ways of working of all our colleagues. It’s also about working together to create a culture where colleagues feel they belong and are valued and respected.
By being committed to inclusion and diversity, we can have the best people working here, which will help make the Co-op a success.
We all have a responsibility to behave in a way that is respectful of other colleagues and to understand that our views and opinions may not always be the same as our colleagues.
Here are other some things you can do to help create an inclusive workplace:
- Try to understand other peoples’ points of view and help them understand yours
- If you ever see inappropriate behaviour, challenge or report it
- If you challenge others, do so in a respectful way
- Be aware of different cultures and customs, and respect the benefits that diversity can bring
- Respect the confidentiality of colleagues and customers
- Deal with customers, colleagues and suppliers in an ethical and lawful way and with respect at all times
- Take responsibility for your own actions
- Look for solutions to problems and try to resolve issues constructively
If you need further support
If you have any questions about inclusion and diversity, please speak to your manager. If managers need advice they can contact ER Services.