Here at the Co-op we want to make sure that all of our colleagues are as safe as possible when driving on business. So, it’s important that you read this Policy before you drive on business – whether you’re in your own car or a vehicle owned or leased by the Co-op.

Crucial bits

Driving licence checks

Before you drive for business, you must complete an online licence check. Completing this check means that you give us permission, through our supplier AA DriveTech, to contact the DVLA to confirm your driving licence details. This process is done electronically via the FleetRiskManager system.

As a new hire to the business, details of what you need to do are documented within your welcome pack, and as an existing colleague, details of what you need to do can be found via the Driver Risk Management page on our SharePoint site.

The licence check authority is valid for three years or until you leave the Co-op and AA DriveTech will contact you when you need to renew it.

If you have a company car that your partner also drives, they’ll also need to complete an online licence check. The main driver is able to add one additional driver to their profile via FleetRiskManager as long as they fit the correct driver criteria. Please contact if you require further information.

Just so you know, you don’t have to complete a licence check, but this will mean that you can’t drive on Co-op business or receive a Co-op vehicle.

You must tell us immediately if anything changes in your licence details, such as penalty points or health conditions that may affect your ability to drive – there’s more information below on health and medical conditions. You should contact You may need to do an online risk assessment process or On Road training, depending on what changes there’s been. If you don’t let us know, then we’ll investigate this in line with the Disciplinary Procedure/Misconduct Policy for Insurance colleagues.

Health and medical conditions

You must tell the DVLA about any health or medical condition that could affect your ability to drive safely. You should also speak to your manager and contact the driver risk helpline. There’s more information on which medical conditions you have to tell the DVLA about at

Drugs and alcohol

If you’re taking any medication that could affect your ability to drive safely, you must tell your manager. There’s more information in the Co-op Drugs and Alcohol Policy.


If you drive a Co-op vehicle, you’ll be automatically covered by our insurance. If you’re using your own car, or another vehicle that’s not owned or leased by the Co-op, then you must make sure that your insurance covers you to drive for business.

The motor insurance policy is not designed to cover personal effects left in the vehicle, even when stored out of sight. Under our cover the limit per incident is £350, which is actually more generous than most UK issued motor polices.

We strongly recommend that you independently insure any valuable personal items.


Once AA DriveTech have checked your driving licence, they’ll assess your driving risk and may ask you to complete some training, which could be online or in person.

We may review your mileage expenses claims to see the distances you drive and review your accident record, to understand your driving risk and invite you to further training if needed. One option is an in-car training session with our On Road training partner. Just to be clear, this isn’t a test and we won’t give any information about it to the DVLA.

You must complete all training within three months of being contacted. If you don’t, then we may review your ability to drive on business or to receive an Essential User car.

Personal safety and vehicle security

Make sure you protect your car by parking in well-lit areas so it can be seen from the road. Always take valuable items with you and don’t leave sat nav mountings on show.

If someone other than a uniformed police officer tries to stop you while you’re driving, pull over at the first safe place, lock your doors and call 999.

If you’re going to be driving through remote areas, you might want to tell a colleague what time you expect to arrive and the route you’ll be taking in case anything should happen.

Using mobile phones

The Co-op doesn’t expect you to make or receive calls while you’re driving, but you can chose to do this when it’s safe and legal to do so. You should only do this through a legally-compliant hands-free or Bluetooth device.

Things to think about

Vehicle maintenance and checking

You should make sure that your vehicle is in a road-worthy condition at all times and arrange to have it serviced in line with the manufacturer’s handbook.

If you need further support

If you have any questions about this policy, or driving for business, you should speak to your manager or contact Group Transport on 0330 041 7760 or